I worked on timed studies of a cortland apple in the sun. Vibrant color and light.
But here’s my big news: I am proud to announce that our second iOS game is available NOW from the App store. Number Rhumbus is freshly finished and ready to play – check it out at this link! Punch in math expressions and rack up coins -it’s fun! Here is some of the artwork:
This week Holly’s preschool class is studying artists, and they kindly asked me to visit and do a short painting demonstration. I had a lot of fun, and this is the result. I saved the apple stem for last — the kids did NOT want me to forget it :).
Daily Paintworks — a website I have been inspired by — has started a painting challenge. This week the challenge is a series of 10-minute studies. I had so much fun with this. Once Meredith saw what I was up to she jumped right in. She had no problem with the strict time limit and spent a good part of each 10 minutes teasing me for being slow. It was great!
I tried this bowl of green apples again. One change – I used regular oil paints with solvent instead of the water soluble ones I’ve used for the last year. See any difference? More intense,right? Less pasty? That’s my opinion, anyway. I’m not sure about having solvent around, especially in the winter with the house closed up. I need to do a little more research.
This one was done quickly, in the light from a south-facing window. I have a still life poacher in the house who loves to take bites out of a set up like this one, but today both girls were busy with their own paintings. Meredith painted the front yard, and Holly’s was a heart, until she changed it.
I struggled with this one. I threw in the towel and took a quick picture. Once I opened the image on the computer I saw several things I could fix, and now I’m much happier with it.
Lately when the girls and I paint together Holly is finished and ready to move on by the time I get all the painting supplies out. Meredith takes longer to complete her paintings, maybe half an hour. I usually get a good start in that time, and then I wash everything and put it away. I come back later at night and maybe the next day to finish up.
As usual, I love the color Meredith used. I can almost see three apples in Holly’s painting this time around, although she said she was painting poo poo and pee pee. I’m happy with the way the front apple in mine turned out.
In an effort to make the studio family-friendly, we use nontoxic pigments, and when I use oil paints they’re water soluble, so we don’t need solvents.
These apples taste so good.
I did some more painting with the girls yesterday. I ended up trimming a few inches off the right side of my to improve the composition. I’m happy with the pink reflection on the plate.